Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Nursing Assistant (NAC) participates as a team member in the overall functioning of the clinic. The NAC is responsible for the flow of the patients each day and perform duties as described in the Primary Responsibilities section.
- Rooms patients and families to patient care area
- Conducts clerical tasks, patient transport, cleaning and restocking of rooms, and other requests to maintain clinic flow
- Responsible for patient care activities including, but not limited to: vital signs, ECG, patient ADLs, and patient transport.
- Responsible for and trained to use patient lift equipment
- Recognizes symptoms of common medical illnesses, abnormal vital signs (including pain) and immediately escalates to RN and/or provider.
- Documents vital signs and other patient information per policy
- Assists with procedures as directed
- Recognizes different types of isolation requirements and uses appropriate precautions.
- Demonstrates behavior which maintains and respects patient's rights and privacy, as well as promotes independence.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to patient's/families emotional, social, and mental health needs.
- Acts as a courteous, polite representative of the Fred Hutch Cancer Center.
- Creates a safe and comfortable environment by demonstrating caring behavior and conveying confidence.
- Promotes and maintains effective communication as evidenced by:
- Demonstrating respect for the ideas, opinions, and feelings of others.
- Seeking help with problem-solving as needed.
- Giving and receiving appropriate feedback
- Charges for supplies and equipment appropriately.
- Takes initiative and responsibility for identifying and pursuing learning opportunities.
HIPPA - Patient Privacy:
Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of patient privacy rights. Maintains confidentiality of all medical, financial, or other sensitive materials and information in printed, electronic or verbal form, which may jeopardize the privacy of patients. Accesses and uses the minimum necessary patient identifiable information to perform job responsibilities and duties and only for authorized purposes.
HIPPA - Employee Privacy
Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of and maintains confidentiality of employee information and SCCA strategic plans and initiatives, financial information or other sensitive materials and information in printed, electronic or verbal form, which may jeopardize employee rights or organization's operations. Accesses and uses the minimum necessary employee and organization information to perform job responsibilities and duties and only for authorized purposes
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Certification as a Nursing Assistant in the state of Washington required.
- Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
- Knowledge of human growth and development to modify care to age and developmental stage of the patient. Physically able to perform the tasks of the role, such as walking, standing, pushing, and bending; lifting patients, equipment and linen supplies; and performing nursing procedures.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and problem solve
- Ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to follow direction and guidance
- Ability to recognize limitations and seek help
- Ability to identify learning needs and plan learning opportunities
- Ability to appropriately respond to emergencies or disasters per clinic protocol and scope of practice
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records
- Strong interpersonal and customer services skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, complex healthcare environment
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $20.53 to $29.23 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.