Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Medical Assistant Apprentice is a student in training (MA Trainee), mentored by an SCCA Certified Medical Assistant (MA-C) staff, in preparation to take the Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) test through the National Healthcareer Association. The apprentice will work side-by-side with a preceptor and participate as a member of the team in the overall function of the clinic. Their primary responsibility will be to learn to manage the flow of patients for assigned providers (as applicable) each day. The apprentice will perform duties and procedures as they demonstrate competency at the direction of their preceptor and supervisor. The apprenticeship is designed to complete 2000 hours of training over a period of 1 year. The apprenticeship program is sponsored by the Washington Association of Community & Migrant Health Centers (WACMHC) and accredited through the South Seattle College (SSC).
- Patient flow: rooms patients and families into exam or procedure area
- Initial patient assessment: vital signs, pain assessment, fall risk
- Conducts clerical tasks, patient transport, cleaning and restocking of exam rooms and other duties assigned to maintain clinic flow
- Recognizes symptoms of common medical illnesses, abnormal vs. abnormal, new/existing pain and escalates appropriately to healthcare providers
- Customer services: acts as a liaison between patient/families and healthcare providers
- Procedure assistant: prepares for/sets up for procedures and aids healthcare provider
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Current Healthcare provider CPR card
- Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
- Willingness to participate in the process improvement initiatives
- Proficient in email and word processing system
- Strong interpersonal and customer services skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, complex healthcare environment
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and problem solve
- Ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to follow direction and guidance
- Ability to recognize limitations and seek help
- Ability to identify learning needs and plan learning opportunities
- Active DOH registration as an MA-R or CNA
- Ability to appropriately respond to emergencies or disasters per clinic protocol and scope of practice
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $21.56 to $30.69 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.